Some gamers take their choice of gaming throne a little more seriously than others. But the fact of the matter is us gamers put in some long hours in our chairs. It makes sense to find something comfortable. Beyond that, finding the best PC gaming chair for you mostly comes down to personal preference.
Shopping for a gaming chair for console gaming in-front of the TV? Some gamers prefer using a PC gaming chair, though they aren’t for everyone. For rocker and bean bag type chairs check out our best gaming chairs for console gamers page.
List of the Best Computer Gaming Chairs
We’ve found the most popular and affordable chairs for pc and organized them in this table below. The chairs are sorted by price ascending. Prices for these chairs ranges from $50 to $1500. We’ve also rated these chairs on a few important factors. This is our compiled table of the best chairs for PC gaming of 2017. For GameRecycler’s top 10 PC gaming chairs picks, head to our review section.
Popular types of Gaming Chairs
There are essentially four broad categories of gaming chairs. Nearly all rocker and pedestal type chairs are used for console gaming, though we do know some gamers who use pedestal chairs for gaming at a desk.
We’ll discuss the merits and general chair design of each category in this section.
1. Bean Bag
To start off our list, we have the lowly and humble bean bag. Surprisingly, some bean bag chairs are insanely comfortable. Used for console gaming (you’re going to need a massive one to raise you up high enough to do gaming at a desk) bean bag chairs are an inexpensive and fun option. With this style gaming chair you can’t swivel, roll, or rock but it sure beats sitting on the ground for hours on end.
The rocker type of gaming chair is used exclusively for console gaming. It sits directly on the floor and — true to its name — allows the user to rock back and forth. X Rocker popularized this gaming chair design and are by and far the leader in the rocker gaming chairs category.
The drawback to this style is it does not let you swivel left to right. Also, some users complain that they get uncomfortable after a couple hours of gaming. Hardcore gamers that spend 8+ hours some days ma want to steer clear of the cheaper models or they will likely not be too happy with how their butts and backs feel after a couple weeks.
The pedestal style chair is a somewhat of a hybrid between the rocker and wheelbase style gaming chairs. These chairs are designed for console gaming but from time-to-time we hear of them being used at a desk. The X Rocker brand is extremely popular in this category of chair as well.
Pedestal style gaming chairs are usually a little more expensive than rocker type chairs. On the plus side, they get you up off the ground a bit. Instead of having the ability to go all out in rocker mode, you’ve got a pedestal you can swivel about.
4. Wheelbase (PC Gaming Style)
PC gaming chairs are the best chairs in terms of mobility and comfort. You can roll around and spin to your heart’s content thanks to the wheelbase build of these chairs. With some models, you can even recline and catch an afternoon cat nap.
This is a very broad category where you have affordable office chairs on one end and expensive gaming and professional chairs on the other. A popular brand that makes expensive gaming style PC chairs is DX Racer. The space is getting fairly crowded nowadays and there are dozens of options.
Flight simulators, racing simulators, and workstations such as the J20 fall into this category. As you would guess, this category is characterized by steep price tags. Sometimes these come as all-in-one packages and other times you’ll need to buy the extras such as racing wheels, flight joysticks, and monitors.
Most Important Computer Gaming Chair Features
PC Gaming doesn’t have to be uncomfortable. A well-built office chair is nearly as comfortable as a plush recliner. You can also count on it to last at least a few years. The key is finding a manufacturer that actually incorporates ergonomic designs in their chairs. Some manufacturers just use marketing buzz words but don’t follow through on the design to cut costs.
Here are the top 3 features worth considering before purchasing a new office chair.
1. Ergonomics. For gamers, ergonomics is important. The best PC gaming chairs will help improve your posture. They’ll provide lumbar support, arm support, and numerous controls to make adjustments. This allows you to customize your chair to your height and body type. To get something that covers all the bases, you’re going to have to shell out a lot of cash (at least a couple hundred dollars). Anything less and you’ll have to make compromises. Here are the main adjustment features to look for:
- Height control. A standard function for nearly all office chairs.
- Armrest height control. Not as common as you’d think. A great idea as fixed height armrests can cause discomfort.
- Tension control. Allowing you to stiffen or loosen the tension level in the backrest. This affects the amount of pressure you need to apply to lean back.
- Backrest lock. Sometimes chairs will also allow you to lock the backrest in place in addition to controlling tension.
- Seat pan slider. This enables you to slide the seat of your chair forward or backward in relation to the backrest.
The general rule of thumb is the more ways you can adjust the chair, the better. Check out the video of the SteelSeries Gesture chair below, arguably the most innovative chair released to date.
2. Material. Most quality office chairs are either leather or mesh. You want a chair that is a good match for your body temperature. The wrong choice could lead to your comfort level heading south for longer gaming sessions. Some gamers get sweaty and others descend into a cold reptilian-like state. It’s a good idea to make your purchase accordingly. Mesh material is highly breathable. It is a great asset for those of us who run a bit on the warmer side. Leather is effective at retaining heat and is suitable for those gamers who run cold.
3. Style. We’d be lying if we said looks aren’t important. The chair doesn’t need to be an aesthetic masterpiece. However, nobody wants something that looks like it’s about to fall apart next time someone enthusiastically plops their seat in it. There’s a lot to be said for a sturdy, well-designed chair. Depending on your preference, something flashy such as a racing themed chair may be the perfect fit for your gaming space. On the other hand, some people appreciate the look of all black leather which may be a more appropriate match for their office area.
The Top 11 PC Gaming Chairs
In our chart above, we’ve selected the most popular chairs from the many options out there. Here, we take an in-depth look the best in class chairs. These will help take your man-cave to the next level.
Recommended Budget Computer Gaming Chairs (under $100)
In this price range, you sacrifice some features but there are a few chairs with good build quality.
The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Leather Office Chair is probably the best bang for your buck on the market right now. It is one of the first private label furniture items sold by Amazon. The black leather upholstery and professional design aren’t something you’d expect to see in this price range.
Fortunately, you still get a couple ergonomic features: pneumatic seat and backrest controls. These are simply adjusted to raise and lower the seat and customize the resistance of the backrest. The smooth back contours provide an acceptable level of comfort and the dual wheel casters are well-made.
- Price is right.
- Exceptional build quality, comfortable padding.
- Fast shipping, Amazon private label item.
- Not ideal for big and tall gamers.
- Tilt mechanism has to be adjusted just right.
- Only comes in one color.
For taller individuals, the AmazonBasics High-Back Executive Chair may be a better fit. This version of the chair comes in two color variations: brown and black. It is a step up from the AmazonBasics Mid-Back chair in build quality, but is still limited in the adjustment mechanism department. You get the pneumatic height adjustment and tilt-tension knob underneath the seat (allowing you to make it easier or harder to rock back in the chair) but that’s it. Nevertheless, the bonded leather covering sufficient padding, sturdy casters, curved contours, and well-built arms makes this chair a nice value proposition at the near $100 price point.
The LexMod Veer Office Chair hangs out just around the $100 price mark. It’s got a mesh back for excellent breathability. If you run hot when you’re in the thick of the action, you’ll want to consider this chair. LexMod offers the Veer in eight color options, so you can get the right one wherever your color preferences lie. The waterfall seat design aids you in maintaining a healthy posture. The arms are also adjustable, allowing you to customize them to your height.
- Competitive price.
- Ventilated backrest.
- 9 color options.
- Back rest is fixed, no leaning back.
- Adjustment knob sometimes gets stuck.
- Seat padding is thin.
If you’re willing to compromise on the adjustable arm rests you can save yourself about $20 by going with the LexMod Ardor model chair, which is also an able gaming companion.
The Professional Air Grid Back with Leather Seat Chair by Office Star is a solid, well-put-together chair that looks great in any office set up. Adjustable arms, tilt tension, and height facilitate healthy sitting posture. Soft arm-pads and industrial strength wheels round out this chair nicely.
The leather seat with mesh back provides a wonderful combination of comfort and breathability. At around $150 it is a great value proposition. At that price point we honestly think Air Grid is the best chair at this price point. And most people agree: Office Star’s chair is one of the top 5 best-selling office chairs on Amazon.
- Leather padding on seat feels wonderfully soft.
- Quality parts, firm feel, and easy to adjust.
- 4 style options.
- Backrest may feel a bit too firm for some.
- Armrests seem a little flimsy.
- Mesh material wears down relatively quick.
If you are looking for something less expensive the Office Star Screen Back Task Chair. For $74 it is a great basic chair for less than half the cost. This task chair also makes a good buddy chair for spectators.
Recommended Mid-Range Computer Gaming Chairs ($100-$400)
These chairs offer a practical balance of price and features.
The Mid-Back Black Mesh Chair with Triple Paddle Control by Flash Furniture is a fantastic “one size fits all” chair. It has enough adjustment mechanisms and ventilation to keep you comfortable through extended periods of sitting. Flash Furniture makes some of the most well-priced ergonomic office chairs on the market. If you’re looking other ergonomic designs Flash Furniture has several other terrific options.
- Great one size fits all chair: very adjustable & 10 color options.
- Extra large paddles makes adjusting easy.
- Extra thick seat padding.
- Difficult to assemble, caster wheels hard to attach.
- Backrest fabric not very comfortable.
- Armrests can be too tall to fit under lower desks.
If you love leather, the Black Leather Executive Office Chair with Triple Paddle Control is the mesh’s chairs leather equivalent, features a slightly higher back, and is well worth a look. It features the same comprehensive customization as the mesh version with the extra large paddles. The extra high back (adjusts up to 21 inches tall) is a nice treat for big and tall gamers. The contoured design adds a nice professional polish to this Flash Furniture offering.
Also, The snowy white version of the high back leather executive model is an option for those looking to break away from the traditional black office chair
The DXRacer Gaming Chair is a sharp looking chair that comes in many styles and color variations. This chair is perfect if you’re looking for something that looks more sporty. The chairs can be purchased with vinyl, cloth, or a patented race car seat upholstery which is a luxurious, breathable option. These chairs are big in the eSports world, particularly over in Europe. That’s no surprise—DXRacer makes some stylish chairs, while keeping ergonomic design in mind.
All of their chairs have a high straight backrest. Most come with detachable, adjustable lumbar and neck pillows. The chairs have s a flexible back with up to 180-degree adjustment, fully adjustable arm rests, tilt mechanism, and adjustable height gas spring. These are solid chairs weighing in at around 70 lbs. Added benefit: you feel like you’re sitting in the seat of a high-performance race car. If these chairs don’t get your motor started, we don’t know what will.
Starting at about $290, and reaching up to around $450 for the King Series chair, your wallet will definitely take a hit if DXRacer has successfully managed to woo you.
- Awesome looking design, material looks and feels high quality.
- Many unique size and style options, armrests and backrests fit gamers of all sizes.
- Wonderful reclining feature.
- Very heavy.
- Can feel somewhat stiff until broken in.
- Some models are not ideal for taller gamers.
About DXRacer Chairs
DXRacer Chairs began as a manufacturer of race car seats and eventually expanded into the gaming market. Their dedication to quality, fresh styles, and ergonomics has been well received by gamers. They are now a major player and respected brand in the gaming community. They feature some of the most popular high-end gaming chairs used by gamers worldwide.
- Supports eSports. If you’re into the competitive gaming scene, you’ve probably seen their chairs at major gaming events such as IEM and Dreamhack. While this one isn’t on everyone’s list, it is certainly a factor for some deliberate shoppers.
- Designed for work and play. This is something that DX Racer really emphasizes. Frankly, if its comfortable for 8 hour gaming sessions you can safely bet it will be okay for office work as well. The point though is that they are a proponent of health conscious computer use. These chairs are designed to be as ergonomic as possible. In the event that you are spending long hours in your new DX Racer chair your back and extremities will be well taken care of. You’ve got a head pillow, lumbar pillow; full arm rest, back, height, and seat controls along with full spine support. You’re getting your money’s worth in terms of ergonomic value.
- Models and styles. Sure these chairs are pricey, but they do offer a few starter models that are a bit more reasonable. The thing to remember is that all these chairs are made with durable high quality materials. You’re still going to have to dish out for the less expensive models. Also, if you have a favorite eSports organization you may be able to find a chair with your team’s colors and logo. DXRacer offers more color options than nearly any other chair manufacturer. If you want a hyphey green they’ve got that. If you want a passion pink they will happily provide and won’t pass judgement either. No matter what type of game room or theme you’re putting together you can find a chair that matches and is up to par in terms of the coolness factor.
- Reclining feature. These gaming chairs recline! If you’ve put in a solid four hours and need to kick back for a break, no problem.
Quick Reference Guide to Choose DX Racer gaming Chairs
There are subtle differences in the types of chairs DX Racer offers.
- O-Series: O for Origin. Least expensive with mesh, PU leather, arms not adjustable.
- F-Series: F for Formula. Step up from Origin with adjustable arms.
- R-Series: R for Racing. Taller backed version with more features. Taller, slim to average user.
- K-Series: K for King. Deluxe series, “4D” adjustable arms, aluminum base, larger casters.
- S-Series: S for Sentinel. For big and tall users.
- T-Series: T for Tank. Do you have giant’s blood in you? You better buy this one.
The Giantex Executive Racing Style Chair sports an excellent style to cost ratio. This chair is offered in four other colors other than the white featured above: red, blue, green, and yellow. While you may sacrifice some build quality going with the Giantex chair over a DX Racer, your wallet will find the arrangement much more agreeable.
At around $170 price mark, this chair is arguably a better value. No need to upgrade to the elite series, this chair comes with the removable head rest pillow and removable lumbar cushion. The reclining mechanism tilts up to 150 degrees and is matched with adjustable arm rests and seat height.
- Sharp racing stripes design.
- Can be reclined up to 150 degrees.
- Head rest pillow and lumbar cushion.
- Plastic wheel base.
- Padding feels firm and stiff.
- Chemical smell lasts awhile.
Another attractive chair from Giantex is the High Back PU Leather Ergonomic Office Chair. You can get this chair in white with black accents or black with white accents. At any rate, this chair is comparable to the AmazonBasics high back leather chair featured in our recommended budget gaming chairs. The big difference here is the snazzy appearance and the waterfall cushions that are quite comfortable.
Gamers on a budget will appreciate the race car style bucket seat gaming chair from Giantex. A total of 6 cool styles ensure you’ll be racing around in your favorite color. Interestingly, some colors are priced higher than others probably due to inventory but in most cases this chair will leave you $80 lighter. This chair doesn’t recline and it certainly isn’t going to last a lifetime but you’re getting a sturdy office chair for a decent price with this one.
- Height adjustable and rotatable armrest.
- Black aluminium star base.
- Easy to move with alloy styled casters (2in/50mm diameter).
- Orthopedically and ergonomically designed.
- Load capacity up to 120kg.
- Weight 22kg (48.5 pounds).
- Suitable for eSports Gamers.
For extremely professional gaming, you can also try this GT Omega EVO XL Racing Office Chair Black and Red Leather Esport Gaming seat.
Recommended High-End Computer Gaming Chairs ($400+)
The Ergohuman Mesh Ergonomic Chair is a premium office chair that has a price to match. This chair takes the word ergonomic to new heights with its unique three modules for full spine support. If you are tired of black, it comes in a variety of colors which all look fresh and appealing. The full mesh design makes this the most breathable chairs we have looked at to date. It also comes in full leather if you can’t go without the leather feel. With its multiple support points and sleek design, it looks pretty futuristic.
Eurotech backs this chair with a 5 year warranty on the upholstery and foam as well as a lifetime warranty against part defects. This chair is very adjustable, the arms are height adjustable, the armpads pivot and slide back and forth. The back angle tilt lock features four different positions. It has a very high back that delivers support all the way up to the neck support module.
The bottom line? Your back will feel like its floating on clouds at all times. The lowest price we found for this chair is a seller through Amazon who had it priced at $560.
- Polished aluminum looks nice, top notch construction.
- All levers can easily be reached and respond smoothly.
- Extra high backrest, good neck comfort.
- Seat unit cannot be tilted up or down.
- Putting it together is not fun, smells for awhile.
- Mesh is durable and thick, may feel too hard for some.
The Mirra Chair by Herman Miller is quite simply one of the most beautiful ergonomic office chairs on the market. The pioneers of the ergonomic chair market, Herman Miller exclusively supplies premium quality office chairs. The Mirra Chair looks like something you would see in a New York law firm office.
It features a beautiful sleek look, with high-tech mesh fabric that keeps you cool even through extended use. There are seventeen color options available. The material is patented by Herman Miller, which not only serves to keep the chair breathable but also to distribute your weight evenly. The waterfall seat edge further promotes ergonomic posture.
- Incredibly sleek design, 12 year warranty.
- Harmonic tilt mechanism ensures comfortable sitting position.
- Polymer back and high-tech mesh dissipate heat well.
- Too short for extra tall users.
- Backrest material has been rumored to eat the buttons off the back of pants.
- Arm height adjustment is awkward.
The PostureFit Aeron Chair runs around $900. For that price you’ll get a chair that makes you look and feel like a CEO. It is globally ergonomic, with a multitude of adjustment mechanisms.
The Steelcase Gesture is a worthy rival to Herman Miller Embody for the title of the best of the best office chair. Steelcase is another prestigious brand in the office chair category. It has been rumored that there is a living spirit in the Gesture, waiting to lovingly embrace your spine upon impact. The seat and back are a synchronized system, moving to support you as if they were of one mind.
PC Gamer praised it as a godsend and the best high-end office chair for gamers. Steelcase studied 2000 people from 11 countries to figure out what the posture requirements are of the human body. The result is the Steelcase Gesture.
- Swiveling arm design is best in its class
- Synchronized support system means no longer worrying about making the right manual adjustments
- Premium look and build quality, comes fully assembled
- Dat price tag
- No adjustable lumbar support
- Some may not like angular aesthetic
Other Cool PC Gaming Chairs
- Very stylish looking chair
- Generous amount of padding
- Some say even more comfortable than DX Racer chairs
- Height adjustment unit hard to assemble
- Cannot adjust armrests of Enzo Series
- Must buy more expensive Torretta Series for backrest and neck pillows
- Chrome base looks cool.
- Awesome footrest module, can extend fully and take cat naps.
- Multiple color options.
- Not breathable, can get pretty hot.
- Armrests could use improvement.
- Padding not as plush as it appears, may be too stiff for some.
Table of Contents
- 1 List of the Best Computer Gaming Chairs
- 2 Popular types of Gaming Chairs
- 3 Most Important Computer Gaming Chair Features
- 4 The Top 11 PC Gaming Chairs